The perfect curve loving hero is not a unicorn.
He actually exists, to a certain degree, in real life. (I say to a certain degree because no one is truly perfect.)
If this is true why is it so hard to write one?
Because writing is just plain hard.
Well, it is. It’s not easy, especially when you’re trying your hardest to portray the characters and the story the best way possible.
However, crafting your curve loving hero doesn’t have to be so difficult.
Step 1: Do you research.
If you are a man who loves curvy plus size women and is writing about a man who loves them as well your first step should be to sit down and really think about why you are attracted to plus size women.
- What is it about that particular body type that attracts and excites you?
- What do you think about when you look at her?
- How does she make you feel?
- What do you say to her?
If you are a plus size woman who is loved by a curve loving man then sit and think about the reasons he’s mentioned as to why he is attracted to you. Asking him again is a great way to refresh your memory and bring you two closer together (in and out of the bedroom). Here are some questions to ask him:
- What is it about you as a person that he is attracted to?
- What is it about your body that excites him?
- What turns him on in the bedroom?
- What turns him on when you are out in public?
- Did his friends or family give him a hard time because he was attracted to plus size women?
- How does he feel about being attracted to plus size women?
If neither of these holds true for you, don’t despair. There are plenty of forums and dating sites that are for men who love plus size women. Send out a message to them to let them know you are researching a character and need their input. They will be more then happy to help you. Here are some questions to ask them:
- Are you only attracted to plus size women or any women that excites you?
- What is it about plus size women that attracts you?
- Has someone ever made fun of you for loving plus size women and if so how did you handle it?
- What is your dream woman like physically and mentally?
- How do you feel when a woman you are attracted to puts herself down? What do you say to her when that happens?
- Can you name your favorite sexual fantasy?
Step 2: Read some popular plus size romance books.
Technically you can still classify this under research but I feel it’s separate because now you need to pay attention to how you feel when you read the heroes other people have created. While reading, keep a pad of paper and a pencil to write down what comes to mind. Some questions to consider:
- Do you like this hero? If yes, why? If no, why?
- Is there anything in particular that he says, thinks or does that you like?
- Is there anything in particular that he says, thinks or does that you hate?
- Is the hero surprised that he is attracted to her? If so how does that make you feel?
- Does the hero’s friends and family make of fun of him for being attracted to her? If so, how does he handle it and how do you feel about it?
- Is he open about his attraction to her or does he try to hide it? If he tries to hide it why? How does that make you feel?
- If the heroine puts herself down and has poor body confidence how does the hero handle it? Do you like how he handles it or does it make you roll your eyes?
- How does the hero show his attraction? What does he do with her in the bedroom? Do you find his attraction real and believable? If not, why? What in particular seems unrealistic?
- After you are done reading the book go online and read the comments left by other readers. How did they react to the hero? How do their reactions compare to yours? (After you do this you will have a good idea of where your like and dislikes are compared to other readers.)
Step 3: Write a hero that excites you.
If you write a hero you are excited about and proud of, it will show and your readers will fall in love with him.
Don’t stress about pleasing every reader because that’s impossible but some guidelines you could keep in mind when crafting your hero are:
Things he likes:
- Smart Women
- Strong Women
- A Woman who keeps him on his toes but treats him with respect
Things he loves:
- All of her body
- All of her imperfections
- All of her little quirks
What he has:
- Faults but acknowledges them
- A life and desires outside of the heroine
- Family and friends that he cares about
- A healthy respect for women
What he doesn’t care about:
- The fact that she is plus size
- The fact that he is attracted to her because she is plus size
- The heroine being fat and needing to loose weight (Meaning he never asks her to go on a diet)
What he will do:
- Openly show his attraction to her
- Treat her with respect
- Pick her up when her confidence falls
If you need help fleshing out your hero check out some of the articles and worksheets I saved on my Pinterest board titled: Character Building
All of Me by John Legend, for me, sums up what the perfect romance hero feels when he falls for his plus size heroine. Listen to the lyrics and tell me if you agree.
Wednesday @ 9 am “The Most Dream Worthy Heroes of All Time”
- What do you like to see in curve loving heroes?
- What do you hate to see in curve loving heroes?
- Who is your favorite curve loving hero?