A List of 28 Publishers for Erotica and Romance

A List of 28 Publishers for Erotica and Romance

While researching Literary Agents that accept Romance and/or Erotica submissions I inadvertently came up with a list of Publishers that accept Romance and/or Erotic submissions as well. Shocker right? 😉

So, I thought I would share that list with you today in case you are on the hunt for a publishing house.

*Reader Note* Literary Agency and Publishing House websites are good resources to browse the newest books in the genre’s that you love. So while you may not be looking for an agent or even have a book to publish you can still utilize them. My suggestion would be to find a few books you really loved, check inside to see who published it and look them up. Odds are they have more books like it waiting for you to discover.

Without further ado let’s get to the list. It goes without saying that just because they appear on this list doesn’t mean you should trust them no questions asked. Always do you your homework and check Writer Beware, Peditors & Editors, and Writers Weekly Whispers & Warnings.

I obtained the following information from Writers Digest: Writers Market and Every Writers Resource: Book Publishing Companies.

(1) Blushing Books
Pays Royalties
Pays an advance

(2) Bold Strokes Books, Inc
Publishes trade paperback originals and reprints, electronic originals and reprints.
Sliding scale based on sales volume and format
Pays an advance
Needs: Erotic and Romance

(3) Cedar Fort, Inc
Publishes hardcover, trade paperback originals and reprints, mass market paperback and electronic reprints.
Pays 10-12% royalty on wholesale price.
Pays $2,000-50,000 advance.
Needs: Romance

(4) CHAMPAGNE ROSE PRESS

Publishes paperback originals, reprints, and e-books in a POD format.
Pays royalty of 7% minimum, 35% maximum.
Pays an advance
Needs: Erotica and Romance

(5) Crescent Moon Publishing

Publishes hardcover and trade paperback originals.
Pays royalties
Pays negotiable advance.
Needs: Erotica

(6) Dragon Moon Press
Pays royalties
Pays an Advance
Needs: Romance

(7) Egmont USA
Pays an advance

(8) Fantastic Book Publishing
Publishes trade paperback, electronic originals, and audiobooks
Pays 40-100% on wholesale price
No advance.
Needs: Erotica and Romance

(9) HARRINGTON & HARRINGTON PRESS

Publishes trade paperback originals.
Pays 10-15% royalties on retail price.
Offers an advance between $100-1,000
Needs: Romance

(10) Harlequin BOOKS
Publishes hardcover, trade paperback, and mass market paperback originals.
Pays royalty
Pays advance
Needs: Romance

(11) Imajinn Books
Pays Royalties
Pays an advance

(12) INNOVATIVE PUBLISHERS INC

Publishes hardcover, trade paperback, mass market, and electronic originals, trade paperback and mass market reprints
Pays 5-17% royalty on retail price
Offers $1,500-$125,000 advance
Needs: Erotica and Romance

(13) KENSINGTON PUBLISHING CORP.
Publishes hardcover and trade paperback originals, mass market paperback originals and reprints
Pays 6-15% royalty on retail price. Makes outright purchase
Pays $2,000 and up advance
Needs: Romance

(14) MARTIN SISTERS PUBLISHING, LLC
Firm/imprint publishes trade and mass market paperback originals, electronic originals
Pays 7.5% royalty/max on retail price
No advance offered
Needs: Romance

(15) MEDALLION MEDIA GROUP
Publishes trade paperback, hardcover, e-book originals, book apps, and TREEbook™.
Offers advance.
Needs: Romance

(16) MELANGE BOOKS, LLC

Publishes trade paperback originals and electronic originals.
Authors receive a minimum of 20% royalty on print sales, 40% on electronic book sales.
Does not offer an advance
Needs: Erotica and Romance

(17) NEW AMERICAN LIBRARY
Publishes mass market and trade paperback originals and reprints
Pays negotiable royalty
Pays negotiable advance
Needs: Erotica and Romance

(18) OAK TREE PRESS
Publishes trade paperback and hardcover books.
Royalties based on sales
No advance
Needs: Romance

(19) Parker Publishing
Pays Royalties
Pays an Advance

(20) Ravenous Romance
Pays an Advance

(21) RED SAGE PUBLISHING, INC.
Pays advance.

(22) SEVERN HOUSE PUBLISHERS
Publishes hardcover and trade paperback originals and reprints
Pays 7 1/2-15% royalty on retail price.
Pays $750-5,000 advance
Needs: Romance

(23) SILHOUETTE BOOKS
Publishes mass market paperback originals
Pays royalty
Pays advance.
Needs: Romance and Contemporary Romance

(24) SOFT SKULL PRESS INC.
Publishes hardcover and trade paperback originals.
Pays 7-10% royalty.
Average advance: $100-15,000
Needs: Erotica

(25) Sourcebooks, Inc
Pays Royalties
Pays an Advance

(26) TOP PUBLICATIONS, LTD.

Publishes hardcover and paperback originals.
Pays 15% royalty on wholesale price
Pays $250-$1,000 advance
Needs: Romance

(27) Tor/Forge Books
Pays Royalties
Pays an Advance

(28) Ulysses Press
Pays an Advance

Advertisements

About Darla G. Denton, Writer

I am a Contemporary Romance Writer for Curvy women and the men who love them.
This entry was posted in Publishing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to A List of 28 Publishers for Erotica and Romance

1. winterbayne says:

Cedar Fort? Really? I haven’t bought their stories but I would imagine they would want PG romance and not the main stream romance genre.

• I don’t think Cedar Fort would be ok with Mainstream or Steamy romances either lol In Writers Digest: Writers Market they use the word Romance in their fiction needs. I’m guessing they mean Christian, Inspirational or Sweet Romance.

2. Pingback: Your Formatting, Word Counts and Page Length Questions Answered | Darla G. Denton

3. Jamie Fuchs says:

Hey, I just wanted to let you know about Smutpire Press. We have an excellent reputation and offer 50% royalty rates. If you want more info, check us out!

4. sophiekisker says:

I publish with Blushing Books and they currently pay 50% of what they receive. Amazon pays 70%, so the author receives 50% of that, or 35% of total royalties.

Liked by 1 person

• Thank you for sharing Sophie!

• macdmac says:

So, why bother with a publisher and not provide the content to Amazon directly?

Liked by 1 person

• That’s a hard question to give a general answer to Macdmac. For me, a publishing house is a more appealing option in the sense that they could potentially elevate my work in circles I wouldn’t necessarily reach through self publishing. When you are a new author the hardest part isn’t writing the book but getting enough people interested in your book to buy it and knowing how to successfully market it to build up a strong fan base. I’m not saying that’s gauranteed when you go through a publishing house but I feel there is a better chance of that happening. I do think self publishing is great but for me I would feel safer doing it once I have a strong fan base in place. What are your thoughts on the matter Macdmac? Why would you pick self publishing instead of a publishing house?

• macdmac says:

Your skepticism about Amazon is okay, but they do a lot of what your current publisher does, and automatically. Their commission, based on selling price, is known, and in your control. in addition, Amazon Marketing Services (AMS) can really empower your marketing, for a modest cost. Plus, I too wanted the blind to be aware of one of my products, and a reader with Kindle eBooks is standard! Plus the instantaneous index. You’re right about a cover, and I just paid a bit over $200 from Design Crowd for one; it included over 50 back ‘n forth discussions/revisions before getting a front & back design that I am THRILLED with.
        How you choose to run your writing business is made up of many decisions. When writing, we sometimes don’t realize we need to do more, if we’re going to make money, we have to consider the marketing, sales and corporate entity and identity, aspects of our “baby”. Often, the more of these we turn over to others, for convenience or whatever reason, the less that’s left over for us. In some of the cases above, they are known one-time costs, marketing is an ongoing, budgetable expense.
        Just a few thoughts and HTH,

Liked by 1 person

• What I get with Blushing is exposure. Though no one really knows how Amazon does things, it seems that books from the same publisher often get recommended together. So it’s a way to link my name to more successful authors until I better establish my own brand.They do some marketing, and if I get a BookBub promotion, they will pay for it (that’s a couple hundred dollars). They often do box sets with groups of authors which have been very successful. They pay for the cover and the ISBN number. If I want my book to go to audio, they hire the narrator and make all the arrangements. They will arrange for my ebook to become a print book as well. They have an ARC (advance reader copy) team who will be ready to post reviews within a few days after the book is released (and they are NOT all 5*, believe me!).

It’s not utopia; there are downsides, like less control over some parts of the process, but I am happy with them right now.

Liked by 1 person

5. A friend just sent me the link for this post and it is exactly what ive been looking for as im thinking of publishing my stories that i have posted on my blog so thanks for this

Liked by 1 person

6. johndwm says:

What a very generous thing to do and so very useful for thise of us considering going down this road! Many thanks always …

Liked by 1 person

7. Vikki downs says:

I represent Cedar Fort Publishing and Media and can confirm Cedar Fort does not accept Erotica or any explicit or overtly adult content. As a publisher, our mission is to publish clean works that can be safe for any member of the family to pick up, I like to say, “no 50 shades of anything” haha. Thank you for bringing us up in this conversation, and know that any author with family appropriate works in fiction or non fiction are welcome to submit to our Submittable account through our website. Happy writing!

Liked by 1 person